Saturday, July 03, 2004

And They're Off

I have to say that nothing gets me as motivated for working out as the Tour de France. I watch all 3 of the big cycling races, but there is something special about "Le Tour". I guess part of it is the knowledge that these guys are the best athletes in the world. The physical conditioning these guys do is simply stunning (I remember the Lance Armstrong ad for Nike: "what am I on? I'm on my bike 8 hours a day"). There's so much skill involved in what they do... it isn't just a matter of getting on a bike and riding very fast. There's strategy, there's the whole bike handling skill (which is a matter of life and death), there's the "etiquette" of pack riding. The amazing part to me is the 8 guys on each team that give their body and soul for one person, going all out so someone else will get the win. No other sport expects such sacrafice from team members for one to succeed.

Anyway, the first stage of TdF was today and I've worked out twice. It was a short time trial race, but I look forward to the mountains. Knowing that I'm sitting in my nice comfortable house riding a stationary bike or jogging on a treadmill makes me feel so wimpy while I watch them suffer in all weather conditions (100 degree weather, rain that you can't see in front of you, and yes, even the occassional mountain top snow storm...) for a 150 mile ride. Day in and day out for 3 weeks. Who am I to complain?