Tuesday, April 19, 2005

One Day Older, A Little More Shorter Of Breath?

Well, I'm now officially 36 years old. (If 35 wasn't a milestone, I guess 36 isn't either). All in all I had a great weekend. I did skip a workout on my birthday. Oh well, I had a good workout on Saturday. I also was back on track on Monday.

We went to The Sly Fox Brewery for lunch on Saturday. I did a beer sampler. They make such nice beer. Even their Helles was excellent for a lager. However, it's their dark beers that really shine. One of the best stouts I've ever had. Their brown ale is one of my all time favs. They had a couple of seasonal beers, including an alt and a weisse that I really enjoyed as well. It was all yummy. I love different beers, but it's one of the things I've really cut back on. Basically I've had maybe 3 or 4 beers so far this year. So having a sampler of a bunch of beers was lovely.

So I've had my splurge: beer, onion rings, pulled pork sandwich and birthday cake. Today the remainder of the birthday cake was removed from the house and taken with Matt to work. Goodbye yummy birthday cake. I enjoyed you, but I'm sure you'll make others very happy too.

So Maya worked my butt off today. We decided to do a 45 minute workout with an upper body concentration. She gave me a nice little warm up and cardio (total about 15 minutes worth) followed by 30 of the hardest weight workouts she's had me do to date. 3 sets of tricep dips? she must be kidding. I simply can't do tricep dips, so I went over to my Smith machine and did tricep pulldowns. Still was really tough, but it doesn't bother my hands or wrists (like dips do).

I'm hoping that some of these "body weight" exercises will get easier as I lose more weight. I still really struggle with pushups (again, it's my hands that hurt... 154lbs is a lot of weight on them). I used to have a similar problem when I first started working out when I was much heavier. I used to try to walk, but lugging around an extra 80 lbs put a lot of weight on my size 5.5 feet. That's the main reason we got the stationary bike. It was a good way to start. I now can walk without the foot pain, so I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to do dips and pushups.

Today's Positive Comment:
I had a very happy birthday. I look forward to spending the next year taking care of myself and be even healthier by the age of 37.