Monday, April 11, 2005

Suffering

Matt and I talk a lot about how to deal with suffering thru workouts. Everyone has different levels of what they can stand. He always talks about the professional cyclists ability to suffer. To be able to continue biking up mountains, in rain, in the cold, in the heat, in the wind after you've passed your anerobic threshold is beyond his comprehension.

I look at him and can't comprehend his ability to suffer. He bikes everyday in almost every type of weather condition (only thing that will keep him in is extreme cold or rain). I've never seen him not ride due to heat... he'll ride in tempertures above 100.

So we all have our levels at what we can suffer thru. I've learned that my tolerance has increased. I know can workout with tiny aches and pains. With menstral cramps. When I just don't feel like it. (I don't have weather as an excuses, as I actually don't really like to work out outside).

However, after watching a documentary on the Endurance, Matt and I decided we have no concept of what suffering is really about. (you can read more about Shackleton's successful failure here).

Next time I'm hungry or tired or just feel sorry for myself, I'll think about the men who survived some extreme circumstances.

Today's Positive Comment:
I'm warm and not hungry. I live in comfort.