Tuesday, July 26, 2005

First vs. Last

If you've been reading this blog for a bit, you know I've hit a major plateau (I really should know how to spell that by now... I've written so many times, yet I still don't ever get it right).

I'm struggling with the last 30 lbs that I want to lose (out of 90lbs loss goal). I've been even a little obsessed with this last 30 lbs, yet not enough to do it.

It's made me think back to all the weight I have lost and how hard it was, or for that matter, how easy it was.

I will say the first 30 lbs came off fairly easy. Some diet changes and a little exercise and I slowly, but surely, lost 30 lbs. Then I hit a stopage... and the horrid cholestrol numbers. Well, that motivated me to work again and I made some more diet changes and exercised a lot more.

So basically, it does get harder the longer I go and the fewer pounds I have to lose. There's still a lot of room for improvement. I may be more physically active, but I'm far from fit. Riding the trainer has shown that... but it's difficult in a different way. My muscles get sore, but it's not a strain on me cardio wise. That's a big improvement. I now need to work my muscles up to my heart strength. So I'm not as easily winded (a good thing), but I need to train my muscles to do more variety.

I do Yourself!Fitness so much more than any other exercise that my body is comfortable with it. Even spending time on the treadmill today has shown me that my legs need more variety. So we'll give this new schedule a try: Y!F 5 times a week, trainer 4-5 times a week (I'm up to 15 minutes), treadmill or recumbant bike 3 times a week. The goal is to do the 90 minutes of exercise at least 5 times a week (not all at one time). I'm going to push Maya up to 45 minutes a session and supplement it with the 15 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes on the treadmill. I really would like to break the 150 lbs before the end of summer... okay, let's say mid fall.

Oh, and I'm giving up my diet sodas. I think I'm not hydrating myself enough (hence the really sore muscles) and I love my sodas, but it's time to take the next step. More water and I'm adding a multivitamin. The usual focus on making sure I'm getting enough fruit and veggies and we'll continue to keep the animal products down to 3 days a week or so. More beans and tofu! (all hail the great Boca manufacterers!!!). Let's see how it goes and maybe I can get back to my 1/2 lb a week weight loss again!!!