Thursday, September 29, 2005

Ouch!

I have a bad knee. I've dislocated my knee cap on several occassions and had surgery to remove a bone chip from where the knee cap struck one of my other bones and to tighten up the stretched out ligament. Since the surgery, I haven't dislocated my knee, but I do get a lot of knee pain. Between the scar tissue and the non smooth knee cap (from the bone chip) I'm very careful on which exercises I do.

I usually stick with low impact. I don't run (well, that's also partly because of the bust line... let's be honest that's not real comfortable either) and I avoid high impact exercises when I work with Maya. I adjust them so that they aren't as strenusous on my knee.

However, I've been feeling that I need to work harder if I want my weight to come off, so I increased Maya's intensity. She gave me some new workouts and I enjoy the variety. I've also been cocky and trying to do more of the high impact stuff.

Well, I'm now paying for it. Yes, I've been sore, but I would expect that with some new exercises and a more intense workout. However, I've moved past "sore" into pain with my right knee. That sharp stabbing pain that I hate.

So looks like Maya and I may need a little break and it looks like I'm going to have to cut back on her difficulty. It's really a shame. I want the variety and I want to work harder, but I guess it's like running. It's just not for me. I'm stuck with moderate workouts, which means longer workouts.

I'm feeling very discouraged again. I feel just as I get into the groove, I do something that causes me to have to slow down. Too much too fast, I'm sure, but I feel like I take two steps forward, then have to take a step back. It could be worse, it could be one step forward and two steps back. However, there's no doubt that I've been successful with 60 lbs lost and I need to remember that. This isn't the first time I've had to slow it down a bit and it won't be the last.

So I'll do some walking on the treadmill, keep tracking my food and try to stay positive.

Today's Positive Reinforcement:
I do not allow pain to keep me focused on the big picture.