Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Eye Toy

The Eye Toy: Kinetics showed up yesterday. I'm waiting to pass judgement until I do a little more with it.

First impressions: the eye toy pretty much sucks. I spent a lot of time getting it set up and I don't have a lot of space to work out. I guess they assume that people have huge rooms to workout in. I'm as far back as my space allows and I've already run into issues with it.

I played a little with it last night and I did an actual workout today. So far I'm still in the "eh" stage. I'm not really sure I'm going to get the kind of workout I'm looking for with it.

I'm already seeing where it's going to bother my knees. There's a lot of kicking, and at weird angles. Not good for me. Going into deep squats while trying to dodge things doesn't feel comfortable on my knee and I'm not sure how practical using this is going to be. Since there's a "score" involved, I can't just modify the exercise like I do with Yourself!Fitness.

I do like having my image on the screen to compare my movements with the instructor, but right now that's really the only thing that I'm excited about.

Either I'm not doing the workouts right, or they're really short. I don't seem to get any suggestions for what to do or for how long. The combat was very short (and fairly intense), but again, for a weight loss program, that ain't gonna cut it. Since I'm still figuring out the game, I'll have to see if I set it up properly or if there was more to the workout and I just missed it?

This might be an Xbox vs. PS2 for me... what ever game I'm playing on that system might be the program that I end up using (and I'm playing Star Wars Republic Commando right now on the Xbox).

We'll see how it goes. I'm not fond of passing judgement until I've used it more. Right now I'm just thinking that the 2 biggest drawbacks are going to discourage me from using it (space and knee issues).