Friday, December 30, 2005

Second Workout with Kinetics

Well, I just did my second workout with the Eye Toy: Kinetics and things are looking better, but I'm still not in love.

First, I had to move the camera (our new DVR keeps freezing and we have to reboot which means I have to move the camera) and I got a better position in the room. More of the suggested 5' distance than the 8-9' that I had to do with the first workout. As a matter of fact, I kept move closer to reach the ends of the screen.

I also discovered how to set up a program. So I feel better about that. Yes, I know there is a manual... but who actually reads the manuals that come with games??? (I mean, isn't that what www.gamefaqs.com is for?). So we'll do the suggested workouts for 12 week... if my knee can take it.

The bent leg/twisted movements isn't very good. The quick dodging might be good for the cardio, but not so good on the knees. It's the dodging games that are an issue.

The warmups and cool downs are hands down better than Yourself!Fitness. A much better stretching routine. I didn't do the strength workouts yet. We'll give that a try tomorrow.

I'm not sure how to feel about the grading system. I think with some it will motivate, but with others it will discourage. I think that for the type of person who is goal oriented, it's a great motivator. However, there are a lot of people that will give up because they didn't score well, or they don't see improvement. Yourself!Fitness is much better in that department. It's always encouraging, non-judgemental. Maya only reprimands if you miss a workout. She is always positive in her comments (unless you miss a workout). So it's very different motivational strategies. I'm more likely to success if I'm encouraged. I will get frustrated and give up if I don't see get better "grades".

So each program has it's plusses and minuses and that's to be expected. I still think the workout with Kinetics is a bit short, but that might be because I'm starting as a "beginner".

My best bet for right now? Use them in combo. I'll switch days with each program.

Look for the return of Weigh In Wednesday next week (and we'll see the damage of the last 4 slacker months + the holidays). I'll be setting up a table for better tracking, too.

I'll also set up some goals for 2006.