Tuesday, August 15, 2006

HRM DOA

If you've been reading this blog for a while you know my basic philosophy with weight loss: calories in vs. calories out. I plan my calories like money and base my food and exercise like a budget.

However, my best tool for this (next to FitDay) is my heart rate monitor. It tracks my calories burned during my workouts. It knows how tall I am and how much I weigh. It also knows my heart rate. It really gives me the closest accurate count I can get. Sadly the batteries have died.

So for the time being, I'll use Maya's count on calories burned and Fitday's average for when I use the treadmill. I just won't know if I'm in the right cardio zone.

Last week was tough on me physically, so I did my minimal requirements for workouts, but starting this week I'm going back to the 2-a-days. I'm going to mix up Yourself!Fitness with the treadmill or the stationary bike. I might even ask Matt to set up his time trial bike on the trainer for me to try. Unlike his road bike, the trainer should actually fit me (you can't buy a smaller framed time trial bike than what he rides. Ahhhh it's so cute). I would like to get comfortable riding a regular bike so that he and I can ride together, but I want to make sure it's something I'm comfortable doing before we throw a lot of money into a bike for me.

The problem is that I haven't been on a real bike in years. I don't mean like 10 years, but closer to 25 years. It's not something I ever did a lot of as a child. I want to ride the trainer for a bit to see if I can get comfortable then maybe we'll go shopping for a bike for me.