Friday, September 08, 2006

*&%$&* Counting Calories!!!

So I was reading John's blog yesterday, and he gave me credit for his change from Weight Watchers to FitDay. Nothing like promoting a great tool, like FitDay, and not using it yourself, eh?

Now, I understand why he doesn't want to use Weight Watchers, puffy icon aside. I'm not a huge fan of the points system. When Matt and I started our weight loss program, we went to Weight Watchers (back in the dark ages and before they had online support. Those were also the days where you paid for your internet connection by time). It was still the exchange system, based on the food pyramid. It's a shame that they dropped that system, as I do think Matt and I learned a great deal about balance from them.

So we eat very low fat, balanced meals (and definitely not low carb! carbs = energy. While low carb works for people who don't work out, serious athletes need that fuel. We've had some "bonking" issues with Matt who still struggles with the change from weight loss to competitive athlete).

So balance is fine and dandy. It helped me get my cholestrol in check, it helps us both to have better health overall, but balance doesn't equate restrictive calories.

That's where Fitday comes in. I have to know how much I'm eating. Or I don't lose weight (and usually those portion sizes start to creep up to where I'm gaining weight). So being reminded what a great tool it is, and after doing my blog last night, I realized it was time to get back to business.

So I'm going layout my plan (just like a business plan, it's best to have some guidelines to follow).


  • Use Fitday to track my food and exercise

  • Workout: 3 hard days, 3 moderate days, 1 light day

  • Post on my blog more

  • Weigh In once a week... even if I know it's going to be up



So I'm hoping that it'll help me get focused again... and not just on my fitness. I've been very unfocused with a lot of things lately, including my favorite hobbies, and I'm wondering if it's not from the laziness of my diet and exercise? Being sluggish can have side effects that I don't always realize.

So reminders welcome if this blog is getting quiet!

So let's see: blog updated, Fitday open and food to date logged, now off to workout (come on Maya, let's do an upper body blast fest!).