Sunday, November 07, 2004

12 Years Later....

Today is my wedding anniversary. I've been "legal" with my partner for 12 years now.

It makes me look back over our ups and downs (in weight) as I look at wedding pictures and see where we have been and how we are going.

The good news is that I can fit into my wedding dress. The bad news is that I wasn't at a healthy weight as a bride. The other good news is that Matt can't wear the suit he wore to our wedding. I believe Matt may have been at his heaviest when we got married. It's weird to see him at that weight now, as he's been going the other direction (unlike most men) since we got married. He was probably close to 200 lbs when we got married and today he weighs in at 138 lbs (with a 8% body fat percentage).

It's funny, in the 12 years since we've got married, my body has shifted it's weight. I've always had an hourglass figure (okay, so it went up to a 4-hour glass figure), but I always stayed in proportion. I literally gained exactly 10" all the way around. Today, as I'm losing weight I've noticed that it's not losing in the same proportions. My tummy is not reducing down as it did in my 20's and neither are my boobs. I'm also losing a lot more in my appendages (I've always had heavy upper arms, yet that's where I've seen the largest deficit since using Yourself!Fitness).

I have found some things that I don't like about Y!F, but overall, I'm still enjoying the program. The boredom factor hasn't hit me yet (and I've been using it for over 4 weeks now). I'm comfortable doing the aerobic moves (but I still have a couple of step bench moves that I'm struggling with).

I think I'm simply not doing enough activity to lose weight. The 30-45 minutes a day isn't enough for me to lose weight, but it's definitely what I'll be doing for the rest of my life to help me maintain my weight. I'm simply not active enough in my day to day life for that to be enough. I actually had stopped a second afternoon workout (as I thought I had been over training and got into a frustrated funk), and that's when I immediately plateaued again. So I'm back to trying to get a full hour in a day (not all at once, some days I'll do a full hour with Maya, but most days I'll split it up into two sessions).

So I look back at wedding photo and see two people that were completely unconcerned about their health. Today I see a couple who is constantly working to keep their lives in balance with enjoying the pleasures of food while keeping a healthy lifestyle. Our eating habits are so completely different today and working out is as much a part of our lives as brushing our teeth. We promised each other that we would spend the rest of our lives together, and we want those to be healthy, active lives for as long as they can be.