Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Positive Reinforcement

Okay... I can't put it off any longer. I need to get some new jeans. I'm wearing the pleated LL Bean jeans I bought back in the 90's (when pleated jeans were still being worn). They're size 14's and are baggy. Now this could be the cut (those pleats do add some extra room), but I think it's time to go try on some sizes and see what I like.

Just like everthing other piece of clothing, I have a horrible time finding jeans to fit me. My problem is a narrow back. This makes bra shopping hard (as I need a fairly small number, yet I have a rather full cup) and jeans (and pants in general) have a tendancy of being too large across the back of my waist. There's a 12" difference between my waist measurement and my full hip measurement and clothes really aren't designed for that.

Instead of celebrating the new size, I'll try a couple of ill fitting pants on and get depressed. I will add that this has nothing to do with my size, as this has always been the case with me. I'm also short, yet long waisted.

Luckily I do sew and this can save a lot of frustration for me, but there are two problems. Sewing jeans is a royal pain in the ass. It's a lot of work and they always look "homemade", plus my sewing room is suffering from the "broken window effect"... I haven't been doing much, so it's become a dumping room for things that we don't know what else to do with. It needs a complete overhaul.

It still doesn't solve the jeans situation, but I think I'm going to have to take care of so I can sew up some easy (and comfortable) pants.