Wednesday, June 15, 2005

It's Not The Heat... It's The Humility...

Yikes, this weather is nasty. We're having hot, humid, oppressive muggy weather right now. It makes me very lethargic. Even tho' I'm in a nice air conditioned house, there's still this sense of "weight". I can feel the moist air pressing down on me and it's making my workouts a real challenge.

Meanwhile, my freak of a husband has been out riding every day in this weather. (yes, he's the first to admit he's a freak). It did finally catch up with him. We went to the Penn State region over the weekend. Matt did the mountains (Purdue and Rattlesnake mountains are his favorites). He rode Saturday afternoon, even tho' the temp was well over 90 degrees. We then went to a party (which was pretty uncomfortable... the a/c couldn't keep up with the heat and volume of warm bodies). He also had a beer or 2. Our room had a wall unit a/c and we forgot to turn it on before we left, so our room was blistering hot when we go home from the party. We did not sleep well (but only part of that was the heat). Matt was up the next morning early to ride the mountains again before it got too hot. Followed by a 3 hour drive in a car without a/c (well, our car is a '91 and we didn't think it could handle the a/c). Matt came home and literally crashed in our nice a/c house. He took a 2 hour plus nap. Lots of liquid and some food and the nap helped, but I do think he over did it a bit.

Last night we went to bed a little after 10:00 PM and it was 81 degrees out. It's just horrible. It is having an effect on my workouts. Or I'm having a mental block with them right now. I just don't have good energy right now and it's real work to finish the workout. I did a flexibility workout yesterday, which I think was good. It's tough, but has a different "energy" requirement. It's the jumping and bouncing of the cardio work that's been the challenge.

It's supposed to break on Thursday. Hopefully, we'll get back to normal temps and I can get myself motivated to work a bit harder!