Friday, July 01, 2005

The Double Edged Sword

So I'm feeling a bit depressed. Not only with my lack of motivaton, but with things in general. It happens. Ups and downs are a part of life and I've learned different ways to cope with the downs.

I know that its part of the reason I'm struggling with my workouts is that I get very lethargic when I go thru a depression cycle. I know exercise is supposed to help boost my natural seratonin levels, but it's hard to get the energy to workout hard enough for it to get that boost.

The other thing that happens while in this kind of funk is that I get a lot of aches and pains. Nasty painful zits, stomach pains, sore muscles. I know that it's part of the feelings of depression, but again, it keeps me from wanting to push myself.

One of my great talents in life is wallowing in self pity. I know that this is just a period in time and I'll get back on track. The key is to not let this be a set back... and I'm getting very close to that point. I've cut back on my workouts, maybe not making as good of food choices as I should. I need to get myself back into my routine and hopefully dig myself out of this hole.

So it's a vicious cycle. I need to exercise to boost my mood, yet I can't motivate myelf to exercise because my mood is so bad. Luckily, I know that it will click, and I'll keep trying to get back on track.