Monday, May 29, 2006

Almost a Mile, stone!

As I've mentioned, I'm trying to add jogging to my workout routine. With not a lot of enthusiasm. Bad knees and big boobs are not conductive to running. However, I'm slowly trying to increase my distance each time, with my short term goal of running 1 mile.

I'm getting there. Today I was just shy of 3/4 of a mile. I started to feel my knee "weaken" so I stopped and walked the rest of the way. The cardio endurance is definitely there, but my body isn't real fond of it.

Matt was given some great advise on Thursday by one of the strongest bike riders in our area. He and Matt were out on a break and Matt was doing everything he could to stay on his wheel, when it was Matt's turn to take his turn on the front, he couldn't do it "and sat up"... meaning he didn't take his turn. Well the chase group saw it, and it motivated them to work harder to catch the break. "Pain is temporary, everyone is in pain, but you've got to work thru it. If you had just worked thru that pain, the break would've worked, as we had broken the chase group. You can relax on your couch tonight".

There's a lot of useful information in that. First, this guy thinks Matt's strong enough to stay with him. He has the physical skills to be that level of a rider, but he still needs to learn how to push himself past that "safety point"- that point where your body tells you that it really isn't enjoying itself and would appreciate it if you would stop right now. You need to ignore that voice...

I thought about that the entire time I was jogging. This is only a short momement in time. It's temporary. I can sit later, but right now I need to work thru this and push myself past that 1/2 mile mark.

I'm one of those people that as soon as I feel discomfort, I want to stop. Some days I do. Matt can move past that point... he can work to the point where he feels like he's going to throw up. Then there's this group of people that don't have "safety switch" who continue to work even if they feel like throwing up, or see dots before their eyes... they continue to push their bodies so they can throw their bike over the line.

Ya, that's not me... but I can live with the temporary pain of pushing my body past where it wants me to take it. It'll thank me later...