Friday, May 26, 2006

Forest Vs. Trees

I originally started this in response to Debbi's (go wish her a happy birthday!) comments from yesterday, but realized how long it was getting (heehee), and I think it sums up my attitude about my weight loss/fitness journey.

Sometimes life does intervene. Injuries do happen (trust me, I know), schedules prevent the time necessary for a solid workout. I spend a total of 4 minutes a day brushing my teeth (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening). It might be a habit, but committing to an hour or more of exercise is a lot different than spending 4 minutes a day brushing my teeth. Especially when it's not something I want to do. So yes, while the goal is to make it a habit, you have to accept that sometimes it just doesn't happen. The key is to never allow it to be the excuse for not starting again the next day.

The key to long term success is balance. To accept that there are bad days, but to get up the next and go forward. There's a reason that most people fail in their weight loss goals. They set up these "all or nothing" mentalities. They're gung ho in the beginning, then they'll miss one day, then two, then a week, etc. Next thing is they're not even trying anymore. You can't do that. You have to accept that there will be periods in your life that things won't go according to schedule, then not allow it be the reason why it comes to a complete stop.

I know that my weight loss has been slow, but the fact that I'm still even trying this long is unusual. I see it all the time. People get motivated, then their enthusism wanes and they slow down. My goals haven't changed, nor will they. I haven't given up in the 7 years that I've been on this journey, nor do I plan to.

I might need to take the mental break here and there. Just like a vacation from a job, but that doesn't mean that I ever will have the luxery of not working out or eating healthy.

I guess I'm more interested in the forest rather than the trees. I don't beat myself up over one unhealthy meal or a missed workout (or 6). I'm more interested in my overal success. And the fact is that I've lost 60 lbs. It may have taken me 7 years to do that, but the fact that while most women my age are gaining weight, I'm down to the weight I was in college.

So I've found my key to be balance and forgiveness. I can't change the past, only the future. I refuse to feel guilty for missed workouts or a bad food choice. What's done is done, but I never allow it to be the reason I stop working towards my goal.

On Workout Content: I worked with Maya yesterday. Not one single lunge. Mark your calander, as I believe that was a first. I did the "weight loss" concentration for 30 minutes. I always forget how much of a better workout I get with Yourself!Fitness. My shoulders and arms are sore today... not something I get when I jog on the treadmill.

I've sort of stopped keeping up with the Y!F forums, but I did see on the Gamefaq site that there is a new Y!F in the works. Let's hope so. I really prefer using it more than any other workout I've tried, but I need it "refreshed". I'm also wondering if I should buy the PS2 version, since I'm playing more PS2 than the Xbox -oh, and the rumor I've heard is the new Y!F is going to be for next gen. Hmmm, think I can justify the $600 for a PS3 as a workout tool... I mean a good time trial bike runs over $3000, so think of the savings!!)