Thursday, May 25, 2006

Getting back to routine

One of the ways I need to get myself back on routine is to make myself more accountable. That's why I started blogging this whole fitness thing in the first place (and to help people who also struggle see that those "before" and "after" forget that whole "during" part). So I'm going to try to blog more than once a week (hmmm, I think I've said that before)

Thanks so much Debbi for the encouragement. You said the same thing I've said many times. My problem is that I've now been doing this for over 7 years and it does get old. Seven years of continual food obsession, fighting myself over my workouts for a whopping 60 lbs weight loss. I guess it's just like being in debt. Sometimes you just want to stop worrying about it so much.

I go thru cycles with my focus on fitness. I get myself into a nice comfortable routine where I'm working out daily, I see results and I feel good (maybe tired and sore, but in a good way... most of the time). Then something happens: vacation, or injury, or a busy schedule and I'm thrown off my routine. I then have serious problems getting back into that routine. I think it's because I really hate working out. I haven't found my "magic bullet".

Matt and I talk about it a lot. He likes to say that it's just as hard for him to workout. He doesn't always want to workout. He get sore and tired, etc too. The difference is that he's passionate about his cycling. He might struggle to get on the bike, but once he's on it, the passion kicks in and he ends up enjoying the time on the bike. He actually struggles with recovery, often over training. He feels the same way about cycling as I do about knitting. Even if he's not on the bike, he's thinking about it. Planning his next ride. Evaluating his training schedule. He's found his "magic bullet".

I simply haven't found a workout activity that I'm that passionate about. Even when I force myself to do a workout, I never enjoy it. I'm constantly looking at how much time I have left. How much farther do I have to go. I just don't enjoy it. Any part of it. I've tried different things and none of them are my "magic bullet".

It comes down to basic personality. I'm a sedatary person. Trying to change that, force that change is hard... just like someone who is shy trying to be outgoing and social. I can fake it for a while, but given an opportunity, my basic personality will override my attempt to be more physical.

So right now I'm purely concentrating on getting back to routine. I'm not going to worry about how many calories I'm burning or even if I'm losing weight. I just need to get back to a daily routine. (slowly... I've learned that lesson the hard way... many time! Too fast and I hurt myself).

I rode the stationary bike yesterday for 10 miles. My goals right now are to do something everyday for about a half hour then work myself back to the hour+ workouts. I've got to incorporate my weight training back into my schedule too. I see a big difference since I'm not doing them consistantly (my weight my be about the same, but I'm much "flabbier").

Let me also say that I love getting comments. It keeps me motivated to know that other people are out there struggling along and care about how I'm doing.