Monday, June 19, 2006

Breaking thru the pain

If you read my knitting blog, you'll know that I tagged along with Matt for his races over the weekend. Nothing like hanging out with a bunch of fit cyclists to get me motivated. For lots of reasons.

One: I'm very self conscious of how unfit I look when hanging around these guys. Matt is so incredibly in shape and I feel like his frumpy wife standing next to him.

Two: I saw myself if a picture from the race. Ya, that whole vanity thing really does work. I not only feel frumpy, but I looked frumpy too (but that's also due to what I was wearing... more on that later).

Three: It's so motivating to listen to these guys talk about the races, how they feel, how hard they work etc. it's easy to forget that it's just as hard for them as it is for me... they just can break thru the pain and keep going.

I think that's always the biggest surprise for me. I think people who do a physical activity as a hobby find it easier than those of us that force ourselves to work out. It some ways it is, as they do get a pleasure out of it that I don't, but it's just as much work. They feel the same pain. They struggle with their own self doubt too. It makes me realize that I just need to keep going, to break thru that initial pain to find my stride (then deal with the boredom).

Actually, the riding with a pack really breaks up the boredom. As Matt said, it's much easier to ride for a three hour training ride with a group than to do it by yourself. The appeal of the racing isn't really about the racing, it's about the comradere. There's a bond between these guys that's fun to watch. They wish each other luck. They share info on who's strong in the race, they talk about the course. They go out and race competively then they talk about it after (ad nauseum). It's an odd combination of competition and friendship. Complete strangers bond instantly when they work together on a break. There's a respect among the riders that is so inspirational.

Anyway, it was a very motivating weekend for me.

It helped me considerably with my workout yesterday plus it made me evaluate my clothing choices. One of the photos from the race includes a blurry shot of me in profile... and I look pretty frumpy. Not just from the extra 30-40 lbs I carry, but from my clothing choices. I need to be more aware of what I'm wearing and how I dress. The jeans were not flattering on me at all. While I tried to buy a pair of jeans one size smaller, I chose the wrong brand and they just aren't comfortable for me. So I ordered the LL Bean jeans that I know are cut for my shape and down one size. I also got a pair of shorts (they were sold out of the capri's I wanted).

I guess if I'm going to use this whole vanity thing as a motivating force, I need to put some effort into my entire appearance. I guess a haircut and maybe some makeup wouldn't be out of line either.