Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Well, that didn't work, did it?

Okay, forget posting at a specific time as that's not working. I really wanted to blog after my workouts, but the timing just hasn't been working. So I'll be blogging when the mood strikes me rather than at specific times/events.

I've been putting a lot of thought and evaluation into this whole "weight loss" thing again (do you ever stop once you start?... part of me misses those days of not caring).

I have to admit I've been resting on my laurels. While positive reinforcement is good and healthy, I've been more focused on how much I've lost rather than how much more I have to go.

I'm not sure that's such a bad thing (again, positive reinforcement can be healthy). However, I need to remember that a healthy weight is a journey, not a destination. I've enjoyed the view at 152 lbs for a while now, and I need to move onto the next phase of my journey.

I think it comes down to what motivates us. Me, it was the start of some health issues that were weight related (as it seems so many are). I've seen improvements with my cholestrol, my blood pressure and just general physical well being. So part of me says "well, you hit the 'get healthy' goal, now just maintain it". While I know that being at my current weight is better than my previous weight, my risk factors for so many things will improve if I drop down to a "healthy weight".

So now I'm starting to look for other motivations and I'm thinking physical appearance might be the ticket. I've always had a size in mind, but it was never really a motivating factor for me.

However now that I'm getting older, I'm starting to feel "flabbier", especially in the thighs. So now I'm going to try to use the flab as a motivator.

Don't get me wrong: I have no aspirations to become a competitive bodybuilder or a supermodel (hey, I'm 5'2" and 37 years old... I think the best I can shoot for is "cute"). I just want to work towards firming up and losing the jiggle.

That means lots of cardio (burn off that fat, baby!) and more weights. I'm also working at more variety. I've been sort of stuck in a rut doing the same workout day after day and I think I need to expand my horizons. Walking, biking, weights and Yourself!Fitness are now going to be changed up. I've been working on the weights more often, specifically lower body (as I've been reading up on my knee issues, and strength training is very beneficial... yes, I knew that. I never should've stopped after my post surgery rehab). Hmmm, maybe this whole physcial appearance focus will have other benefits; next thing ya know, I'll actually get my hair cut!