Monday, September 18, 2006

Who said they liked weight lifting???

So I paid for my tough workout on Friday. I was pretty sore for the next two days. Today I feel the "normal" soreness. Which is good, as I'll be doing the same workout again today.

That's the biggest problem with weight lifting: it's hard at the start. I think if you've done it before you recover more quickly from the soreness, but any kind of break and you feel it.

So I'll be sure to weight lift today. Don't want to have to start over again (and a typical mistake for newbies is to wait until they're not sore anymore... not a good idea. Give yourself 48 hours to recover, then do it again. You'll actually be less sore in the long run).

So the weekend was the usual mix bag, but that's typical. I try to keep to a workout schedule, but it's always harder on the weekend. I do think I did a decent job of balancing my food.

Matt's offically done for the season racing. Sunday was the last race of the season. He did his first 1,2,3 and finished with the pack. Not bad. He started the 30+, but didn't finish (back to the "why throw up for 53rd place things"... he doesn't think it's worth it).

So this changes our lifestyle quite a bit. He won't be riding as much, and he'll even take 2 weeks off the bike (uh.hu. I don't believe it either). As it's getting darker sooner, the Tuesday night rides are done, at least for him (He no longer has my clearance to ride it... it just gets too dark too early). The Thursday night training crit isn't on open roads, but in a coporate park and it's safer, so he'll continue to do that one I'm sure until it's done for the season.

The question becomes, now what? He will still ride, but it won't be as much. He usually rides 10-12 hours a week and that'll probably be cut back to 5-8 hours a week. This becomes an issue for him, as he simply won't be burning as many calories. He does need to give his legs a break so he needs to find an alternative high cardio exercise. Probably swimming. It also means he'll be eating less (which is good for me).

He has some specific goals this off season, and hopefully we can do some things together that will help me break this mid 150's plateau that I've been in for the last 2 years...