Monday, November 13, 2006

The Heart Rate Monitor Weight Loss Program

I have a definitely love/hate relationship with my Heart Rate Monitor.

After much procrastination, it's back with brand new spanking batteries (meaning I had to reset everything-including those extra pounds I've put on since it's been gone).

I forgot how much I rely on it. Not only for my workout (my goal isn't time/distance/set, etc... it's all about how many calories I burn), but for the psychological impact of seeing how much work burning calories is.

When I use my HRM on a regular basis and see how many calories my workouts burn, food calories take on a whole new impact. 100 calorie snacks seem like a good idea, but then I stop and think about burning 100 calories. Extra calories are extra workout time and really make me stop and think if I'm hungry or if I'm just wanting something out of habit.

I've been easing back into my workouts. When I take a break and decide to get focused again, I have a tendancy of over doing it (thinking I can just jump back to wehre I was when I stopped). I usually hurt myself doing that, so I've been walking (with minimal jogging... like 1/4 mile) on the treadmill or using the stationary bike. Increasing my time and effort with each workout.

I've been avoiding the Yourself!Fitness. Partly because it's a harder workout than the treadmill and bike, but I also realized that I'm pissed that I won't be getting an update for it. I'm mad at Maya. I still get the best workout from her, but I had sooo been looking forward to the sequel (and it sounds like the company is gone... the customer service number has been disconnected). I don't like the Eye Toy: Kinetics (the eye toy just isn't reliable... and the reason why I'm weary of the new Wii... I want to see a lot more reliable interface on the motion detection before I shell out my money).

So I'm debating if it's time to start looking at traditional DVD's or just get over it and get back to Maya.